Avoid Fluoride Use in Children
As many of my readers know, I am a member of FAN (Fluoride Action Network) and I vehemently oppose water fluoridation. The two major reasons for this are due to its much studied/documented toxicity and the fact that it is a violation of our human rights to have a drug added to our municipal water supply.
I received an email last week from FAN that a new study has recently been published and following is an excerpt from a news release pertaining to such:
New York – June 21, 2011 – “The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system,” concludes a review of studies by researchers Valdez-Jimenez, et al. published in Neurologia (June 2011). reports the New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. (NYSCOF).
The research team reports, “It is important to be aware of this serious problem and avoid the use of toothpaste and items that contain fluoride, particularly in children as they are more susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride” (1)
“Fluoride can be toxic by ingesting one part per million (ppm), and the effects are not immediate, as they can take 20 years or more to become evident,” they write. Valdez-Jimenez, et al. describe studies that show fluoride induces changes in the brain’s physical structure and biochemistry which affects the neurological and mental development of individuals including cognitive processes, such as learning and memory.
“Fluoride is capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, which may cause biochemical and functional changes in the nervous system during pregnancy, since the fluoride accumulates in brain tissue before birth,” they write.*
Animal studies show fluoride’s toxic brain effects include classic brain abnormalities found in patients with Alzheimer’s disease, Valdez-Jimenez’s team reports.
Currently, I sit in the minority of dental professionals who are opposed to this practice but feel it is my duty as a health care professional to evaluate all research pertaining to this controversial subject and help to educate myself, my clients and my colleagues.
As Paracelsus, the fifteenth century alchemist credited with the practice of modern medicine said,
“All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous” and to which his critics responded, “Is the dose the poison or the poison the dose?”
I’d love your feedback. Here on my blog, you’ll get commentluv. This is a plug-in that offers you the opportunity to leave a link back to your own site when you leave a comment.
Until next time,